Hello, Phuket Express Readers and Supporters!
The following is our weekly feature in which we highlight the top local stories in our area of Phuket from the past week. The number of stories differ from week to week.
These are chosen and curated by our editorial team and are designed for our readers to get a quick “catch-up” of important stories they may have missed. We publish many stories daily and it is easy to lose track of important events or changes in our area. We do national recaps in a separate article, this is only the top local stories in Phuket province.
They are in no particular order of importance but roughly in order of publishing. These are from Monday, April 17th, 2023, to Sunday, April 23rd, 2023.
Let’s get started and see what the top local stories were!
- Phuket has announced a total of five deaths, 51 road accidents, and 51 injuries in Songkran’s Seven Days of Danger Road Safety Campaign (April 11th to April 17th).
In a total of seven days in the campaign, there were 51 road accidents with 51 injuries and five deaths (4 male 1 female).
2. An American tourist was attacked by the security guards of a nightclub in Rawai which went viral on social media, however, the story ended with all parties pleased and the guards apologizing.
The security guard was fined 1,000 baht by Phuket police for causing bodily harm.
3. A thief broke into a famous Thai actress’s house in Phuket and allegedly stole a hundred thousand baht or about 3,000 USD.
Police said that they are tracking down the suspect from CCTV footage in the house and the nearby area.
4. A monkey control team from Samut Sakhon has started to sterilize monkeys in Phuket, which has a population of more than 2,000.
The project was launched five years ago in Baan Yamu in Paklok, Thalang after locals complained that many monkeys had disturbed residential areas.
5. Two people have been pronounced dead after a motorbike collided with a taxi car on the Patong – Karon Hill.
Many road users have commented that there were many accidents at this area before.
That’s all for this week, as always thanks for your support!
Help support The Phuket Express in 2023!