Paetongtarn Shinawatra, the daughter of Thailand’s former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, has been elected as the first female leader of the ruling Pheu Thai Party.
Paetongtarn, 37, was the sole candidate at the party meeting today, October 27th, a general meeting convened to appoint Pheu Thai’s eighth leader and new party executives.
Beyond her party role, the youngest child of Thaksin has assumed several key positions in the new government, including seats on the national health system development committee and deputy chair of the soft-power strategy panel.
Paetongtarn entered politics just two years ago as Pheu Thai’s chief adviser for participation and innovation. However, she later emerged as one of the party’s three prime ministerial candidates in the recent general election.
Also known by her nickname as “Ing”, Paetongtarn is the mother of two children. Pheu Thai’s Deputy Prime Minister Phumtham Wechayachai expressed his support for her appointment, saying her abilities matter more than her family name. He noted that this move opens doors for the younger generation to actively engage in the party.
Pheu Thai also elected 23 new executive members including:
- Chusak Sirinil: Deputy Leader
- Julapun Amornvivat: Deputy Leader
- Ochit Kiatkongchuchai: Deputy Leader
- Jiraporn Sindhuprai: Deputy Leader
- Pongkawin Juangroongruangkit: Deputy Leader
- Paopoom Rojanasakul: Deputy Leader
- Sorawong Thienthong: Secretary-General
- Sriyada Phalimapan: Deputy Secretary-General
- Linthiporn Varinwatchararoj: Deputy Secretary-General
- Saran Timsuwan: Deputy Secretary-General
- Taweesak Anakkhaphan: Treasurer
- Nanat Hongchuvech: Registrar
- Danuporn Punnakan: Spokesperson
- Theerarat Samrejvanich: Executive Member
- Voravong Vorapanya: Executive Member
- Patchara Chantararuangthong: Executive Member
- Nikorn Soemklang: Executive Member
- Thitiwat Adisornphankul: Executive Member
- Jadet Jantar: Executive Member
- Ponnodcha Chakpetch: Executive Member
- Chanin Rungthanakiat: Executive Member
- Saratsanun Unnopporn: Executive Member