A Canadian tourist has been charged for fighting in public before being reported to the Thai Immigration office after he first claimed that he was attacked and robbed.
According to Thai police, the man lied and had actually started the fight.
Our previous stories:
A Canadian man who was allegedly attacked by a group of five men in Patong refused to pay for his food and drinks at a restaurant before the incident, according to the restaurant owner, who tells a very different story than the tourist.
Now for the update:
The Patong Police told the Phuket Express on Thursday (March 2nd) that after a full investigation they found, according to them, that Mr. William Lamarche-Saint-Louis, 28, a Canadian national, was not robbed as he said at first. The actual situation was a fight between Mr. William and beach vendors that spilled into a nearby beach restaurant.
The Patong Police told the Phuket Express that last month Mr. William sat on a beach bed while heavily intoxicated. The beach vendor asked William to pay for the beach bed or he had to order a drink first before he could sit. Mr. William became upset and started a verbal argument and physical fight with four Thai men, according to Thai police.
Mr. William and the other three Thai men are facing charges for fighting in public and bodily harm. Patong Police said the Thai men were also being charged for fighting and not reporting the incident immediately, regardless of who started it.
Mr. William has already been fined 4,000 baht and his behavior has been reported to the Phuket Immigration Office.
Mr. William has not made any public comments about the Thai police stating that his original testimony was incorrect nor has he released further statements to the press.