Hello, Phuket Express Readers and Supporters!
The following is our weekly feature in which we highlight the top local stories in our area of Phuket from the past week. The number of stories differs from week to week.
These are chosen and curated by our editorial team and are designed for our readers to get a quick “catch-up” of important stories they may have missed. We publish many stories daily and it is easy to lose track of important events or changes in our area. We do national recaps in a separate article, this is only the top local stories in the Phuket province.
They are in no particular order of importance but roughly in order of publishing. These are from Monday, December 26th, 2022, to Sunday, ๋January 1st, 2023.
Let’s get started and see what the top local stories were!
- A foreign man has been rescued near Racha Island in Phuket. He claimed he was holding onto an oil tank and floating in the sea for 13 days.
It was not immediately clear how he had ended up adrift at sea, to begin with.
2. Religious ceremonies were held at the Tsunami Memorial Wall in Maikhao for the 18th year of remembrance for the victims of the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami in Phuket.
In total, 45 nationalities of victims are listed on the wall and their bodies were buried behind the wall in a graveyard.
3. A 44-year-old Indian man was arrested in Patong for 1,322 days of overstaying his legal visa conditions.
A 35-year-old Pakistani man was arrested in Patong for 3,270 days of overstaying his legal visa conditions the Phuket Immigration Office told the Phuket Express.
It was unclear why they had overstayed their visas.
4. A foreign man sustained severe injuries after he fell from a third floor at the Phuket International Airport.
An American man who sustained severe injuries after he fell from a third floor at the Phuket International Airport has been pronounced dead.
The 35-year-old American man, only identified by his first name of Jason, who died after jumping from the third floor of the Phuket International Airport suffered from depression and financial problems.
If you or someone you know is feeling depressed please reach out for help. The Phuket Express suggests the Samaritans of Thailand which can be reached here: https://www.facebook.com/Samaritans.Thailand/
5. Two bodies of male foreigners were found floating in the sea near Racha Island, South of Phuket.
Two more bodies were found on a beach at the Racha Island off Chalong, South of Phuket.
Their bodies were taken back to the land for further identification and investigation.
That’s all for this week, as always thanks for your support!
Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter and get all our news delivered to you in one spam-free daily e-mail Click here! OR, enter your e-mail below!
Help support The Phuket Express in 2023!
Need medical or travel insurance for your trip to Thailand? We can help!